7.03.2003

5 bucks for a bottle of water?

In keeping with my "I can't just buy one CD at a time" disease, I purchased a 2nd CD while out to get the new Paloalto disc. They are called MINIBAR. Hadn't heard of them before seeing their disc in the store. Saw it on the new releases rack and was drawn to it for some reason. I put it back pretty quickly as there was a quote from Pete Yorn on the cover which is a definite strike against them in my opinion. But, the disc was on the Coalition of Independent Music Stores listenting station, so I gave it a listen. Interesting CD. Has an Americana quality about it, but the songs are subdued, melodic, and even poppy in places. Turns out the band is from the UK, but moved to Los Angeles in 2000 to immerse themselves in American, and more specifically California, music. The result is American rootsy music with a BritPop melodic sense. It won't blow you over but is very enjoyable and good for the hot nights of summer. MINIBARfans.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment