3.07.2005

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Ok, the world had better notice this time that Glen Phillips is one of the best American songwriters to come along in a while. I have been listening to his new album (due out March 29th) over and over and each time something new grabs me. Just check out some of these lyrics:

though we all return to dust there's alot of us in a terrible rush --from "Courage" by Glen Phillips
Dang, ain't that the truth? I often wonder why I spend so much time working at a job that I don't really care for and always rushing around everywhere to get things done... We're all going to end up with the same earthly fate so what does it matter who's in first while we're here? And how about:
Everybody here's got a story to tell Everybody's been through their own hell There's nothing too special about getting hurt But getting over it, that takes the world --from "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips
Damn straight... And who has written a better love song than:
I was eighteen, so were you And I was that birkenstock, geek rock dude You were the backflip, doe eyed, tree climbing, earth mama beautiful evergreen girl And I never thought that I would be Getting my gray hairs with you beside me And there's something I'm blind to but you still see And it couldn't be better I know And it shouldn't be easier ohhh I should just stop waiting for the other boot to fall I want to be the toy in your cereal box I want to be Carter at your peace talks I want to get almost too familiar But still notice the way that you walk And if you said you were going away I would run on the tarmac and I would lay down in front of the plane just to get you to stay It couldn't be better I know I don't want it any easier ohh I should stop waiting for the other boot to fall I've got everything I've ever wanted here Everything and damn this constant fear Sure I'm gonna lose it all Just waiting for the other boot to fall If you thought I could be replaced I wouldn't just stop with an ear I would cut off my whole fucking face just to make my point clear That it couldn't be better I know And it shouldn't be easier ohh I should just stop waiting for the other boot to fall Waiting for the other boot to fall --"Easier" by Glen Phillips
Man, I would be so set if I could ever muster up words like that... My wife definitely deserves them and luckily I have people like Glen to lean on to help me express how I feel. He just has some sort of magical way of putting things in that "aha!" perspective. I've loved that song from the first time I heard him perform it live years ago and am so happy it is getting a proper studio version release. "Carter at your peace talks?" Who writes stuff that good?
I'm jagged rock you, waterfall your gentle touch you wear me down 'til I am smooth 'til I allow 'til I can bend 'til I can bow it's simple simple simple simply all I need I'm complication live wire down I'm agitation distorted sound and while I sleep I wanna forget everything these last years, take them from me wipe them away, I wanna be simple again --from "Simple" by Glen Phillips
Just an album full of fantastic songwriting and simply beautiful lyrics that are simultaneously very personal, cryptic at times, but yet can speak to you and put things in a new light for listeners... at least for me... Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://aaoixbqd.com/yokv/kdfw.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://leitbjlr.com/expw/olwe.html]Cool site[/url]

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://aaoixbqd.com/yokv/kdfw.html | http://caswyhzb.com/jiqf/dfwy.html

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment