3.01.2005

Don't Worry, This "The" Band Sounds Nothing Like The Strokes

The Autumns - The Autumns Here's another band who has been around awhile but just has never made my listening list. It's bizarre that I've never really noticed them before as they often draw references to the Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, and -- as Rhapsody describes them -- all channeled through Toad the Wet Sprocket (who my regular readers know is one of my all time favorite bands and in my opinion the band who's impact to the music of the 90's is totally underappreciated). I just noticed The Autumns latest release from September of last year was added to Rhapsody yesterday so I finally gave this band a listen and after a couple of times through, I have to say that I'm impressed. This one apparently has less of the Cocteau Twins sonic landscape than their previous albums and is a more organic affair. I think it is a very sweeping, emotional, epic release that I am still struggling to completely get my hands around. For the first 3 minutes of the opening track, "The End," you will probably think you should prepare yourself for another Coldplay-influenced album, full of pensive falsetto, meandering beautiful melodies, barely there harmonies, etc. But, don't hit stop just yet because it's at that point that you will be abruptly introduced into what will make this album different for you. In Radiohead-esque fashion, the track quickly changes from Chris Martin to Matt Bellamy. And luckily, lead singer Matthew Kelly has got some pipes. This disc doesn't stick to that formula on every track though. There are varying textures here with even two instrumental tracks featuring a string ensemble. You've got some straight ahead rock tunes such as "Every Sunday Sky" and perfect Brit-pop such as "Cattleya" which successfully mixes Coldplay piano and attitude, Cocteau Twins guitar, Toad harmonies, Muse soft-loud-soft, and just great pop songwriting. Turn it up so you're ready for the fuzzy bass that helps drive the track home. Awesome. And the disc closes out with the sprawlingly wonderful "Wonderfully Wonderful" and the sweet, offkilter, quirky, beautiful waltz, "Heatsick on the Open Sea," closing out what turns out to be quite a journey. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment