2.18.2005

17 Going On 35

Kyle Riabko - What Did I Get Myself Into? I actually had dinner Kyle last fall when my good friend Justin Rosolino was in town playing with Matt Wertz. Kyle was the opening act for the show at the Lincoln Theatre here in Raleigh. Meeting him in person before seeing him on stage really nailed down what a phenom this guy is. The stage can make just about anyone seem larger than life, but when I first met Kyle at Poole's, I just thought he was a young friend of the band, or one of the backing musicians of the band perhaps. He is a small framed guy and when standing next to him he looks his age... which is only 17. He was very nice, fairly quiet, definitely polite, very cool. Now cut to him on stage and I will paint you a very different picture. The first striking thing about Kyle is that he can freakin' *play* the guitar. I mean really play. He spews musicality through his fingers and totally envelopes himself in his playing. When I leaned over to my brother who was with me at the show and told him that Kyle is only 17, he looked at me like I was crazy. His playing alone puts at least 10 years on him. Then comes his singing. What a surprise to hear this bluesy, intense voice come out of this skater-looking guy. Totally fitting of his music, full of pent up tension. Then add in his very entertaining wit which continued to draw in the audience and kept us all laughing in between songs and you end up with a guy who comes off as a very seasoned performer. Now, his music is not my normal fare, but he does what he does so well that I find myself enjoying it. This is a rerecorded single from his last EP that is now fully produced with a full band. Bluesy rock teeming with intensity. He unfortunately gets compared to John Mayer (who is the current reigning champ of the worst-show-I've-ever-ever-ever-seen award) which is unfair as he has more talent in his little finger than Mayer has ever dreamed of having. Oh, and if I have any teen girl readers (doubtful, I know), Kyle is much, much hotter as well. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://yetcmsxj.com/bwsj/jvyr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wymfylsd.com/ozcn/yndo.html]Cool site[/url]

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://yetcmsxj.com/bwsj/jvyr.html | http://eypbwbgn.com/aqal/nwho.html

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment