3.09.2005

My (Near) Future's So Bright....

Ash - Meltdown Well, this weekend is sure looking up. First, the Crimea is added to the Ash/The Bravery show for which I already had tickets since my Irish friend wanted to go. Now, the latest Ash disc gets released stateside and whaddya know? I like it! I've never really been an Ash fan, but I am totally enjoying this release. Not to say that I've been anti-Ash up to this point, I just have never really been drawn to their stuff before. But this album (and perhaps the easy access to it via Rhapsody) has changed that. What an interesting mix. In a nutshell they are like a hard rockin' metal-ish band during many of their verses, but then they somehow smoothy hit you with a sharp as hell pop-influenced hook in their choruses. On paper it sounds sorta simple, I guess. But when you hear it for yourself, you'll see how well they pull it off. It's like they get at your fist pumping, face scowling muscles and your heartstrings all at the same time. Now, you losers out there stop thinking Evanesence... that's not what I mean (If you like Evanesence you probably shouldn't be reading my blog anyway). Definitely more of an indie rock/pop feel rather than arena rock. It's gonna be one hell of a show, I bet. Loud, for sure. But a blast. Now I am really excited. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught this show and, being from Northern Ireland, perhaps I am a little biased, however, I do think that ASH beat out U2/REM hands down for the live experience. I still find it funny just how *mellow* the audiences are here.

What a gig.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am still recovering from my wild, exhausting weekend, so I haven't posted my review of the shows yet, but I agree it was a good gig. Can't comment on the comparison to U2 as I have never seen (and probably will never see) them live... and I haven't seen REM live since early on in their Document tour so I can't really compare there either... I think I was in 10th grade or something for that show...

Chris

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment