1.14.2005

When Does Extended Mean Long?

Ok, I know this makes me insane in most indie circles, I never really got into last year's Fiery Furnaces release, "Blueberry Boat." It was just too difficult to listen to... and for me that's important. Of course, each of us have a different tolerance level for eclectic music and I generally think of mine as being pretty good. But, I just never warmed to it. Thus, my surprise when I actually made it through their new B-sides and outtakes release, "EP," and even really enjoyed it! Not really a traditional EP in length with 9 tracks, perhaps this is the Furnaces' definition of an EP with the overall song length average being considerably shorter. Maybe I can just handle their schizophrenic sounds better in small doses. Who knows... All I know is that for a collection of B-sides and outtakes, this is one very coherent album. For songs at a time it doesn't sound like they even paused between songs and just kept rolling... Whether or not you like this stuff, you have to admit they are pretty original... Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment