2.04.2005

Ed, Edwina, Edleton, Edgerton, Edwardo, and Edmond Harcourt

Ed Harcourt - Strangers I've never really zeroed in on Mr. Harcourt. I've given his previous stuff a listen as it has come out but never was inspired enough to make the leap and purchase it. Of course, now that I have Rhapsody, its not as big a deal to give it multiple listens and let it grow on me (are you listening record companies?). I've given his older stuff another listen and I do like it, but this new one is my favorite. Released last year in the UK and this week in the US, this one is a much more upbeat affair than anything he's released to date. He's apparently a pretty talented guy as he not only plays a zillion instruments, he also manages to touch on just about every incarnation of "brit pop/rock" in this release. The usual mentions for his music are here such as Jeff Buckley (I know, not a Brit), Chris Martin, Fran Healey, Bono (I know, not a Brit... I would NEVER make that mistake), Rufus Wainwright... But on this release, you will probably hear less of the mentions of Tom Waits and you certainly have to start throwing in such references as Radiohead and Muse. Its a very schizophrenic affair, song to song sounding like different albums, but overall is very enjoyable... his voice acting as a sort of glue that holds the whole thing together. The first single "Lonliness" is a perfect brip-pop barn-burner, while "Something to Live For" is a beautiful, fragile song so delicately delivered. Definitely a talented guy and a great album that shows off a good portion of his amazing chops. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ed Harcourt - Strangers
Album Tracks:
1. The Storm Is Coming
2. Born in the '70s
3. This One's For You
4. Strangers
5. Let Love Not Weigh Me Down
6. Something to Live For
7. The Trapdoor
8. The Music Box
9. Loneliness
10. Open Book
11. Kids (Rise From the Ashes)
12. Black Dress
13. Only Happy When You're High

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment