2.09.2005

Music Dorkage Alert

Archer Prewitt - Wilderness This one just showed up on Rhapsody about a week after release date. Archer Prewitt is a member of the band The Sea and Cake, but has had a pretty strong solo career as well since the release of his solo debut back in 1997. I've had a chance to listen to this one a few times though now and I find it very interesting. Definitely one that will continue to grow on me, but it's ability to hook you early on is damn right stealthy. Through the mist of the rolling, swirling, folk pop, Archer likes to throw you totally unexpected curve balls. They are very subtle, but enough to perk you out of any sort of lull the peaceful music has pulled you into and bring you back to the surface. Being the Music major dweeb (yes, that's college major... not that I am a major dweeb although I am sure that's up for debate) that I am, I was perhaps pulled in by one of these little surprises earlier than some. Towards the end of the first track "Way of the Sun," he throws a 3/4 time handclap over the 6/8 of the song. Again, very subtle, but just so freakin' cool that I love it. I've always loved the 3 over 2 effect, and it is pulled of sweetly here, with the split 3's of 6/8 time adding a nice complexity. Another of my favorites on the album is "Judy, Judy" which has very slight changes in tempo between the 1st and 2nd verse, and then a chorus that jumps from 4 time to 6 time followed by a bridge that hops between 4 and 6 time. All the while, the music has a very smooth, flowing feel about it. Very cool stuff here. Stays beautiful and interesting throughout. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment