2.02.2005

A True Great.... Under-Appreciated... But Great

Glen Phillips - Thankful Ok, I'm back home from my wild weekend in Charleston, SC where I was fortunate enough to see the band Keane live (and unfortunate enough to see the Zutons open). That show coupled with the Arcade Fire show on Friday will definitely make this weekend go down in history as one of my best music-related weekends ever. I know I owe you a review of the shows and I swear it is coming. But, I have a few other things I want to get out quickly too. Like this one. Its the first single off Glen Phillips forthcoming album "Winter Pays for Summer" and it was just added to Rhapsody (and apparently a bunch of the other music services) yesterday. Glen is truly one of the great singer/songwriters of our generation. Toad the Wet Sprocket has been one of my favorite bands of all time for a long time and I was always baffled that they didn't get more credit than they did. Since the split, Glen has ventured further into the singer/songwriter world spending much of his time performing as a solo act with just an acoustic guitar. He's released one studio album ("abulum") which was mostly acoustic and one live album ("Live at the Largo") which is just him and his guitar. The upcoming album is his first on Lost Highway Records, home to Tift Merritt, Ryan Adams, Lyle Lovett, etc. and from the sound of this single has been quite fleshed out beyond the acoustic guitar. I love the instrumentation and vocals on this track. Very catchy, yet very interesting. Makes me even more excited for the album, which is hard to do... Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Thanks for the pointer--I had long ago forgotten about Toad and Glen, and it's good to get a reminder of how good he is.

Speaking of which, I'd love to get a hold of the arrangement you did of "High on a Riverbed"--sadly my copy of the CD it was on (High Tied?) has long since gone walkabout.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yep, I arranged and sang the solo on that one on "High Tied." I think I might still have the arrangement around here somewhere. Not sure. Who are you though? Your profile is set not to display?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Sorry, Chris--that was me, Tim Jarrett.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh hey Tim. Good to hear from you. I'll look for the arrangement and try to get a scan to you sometime soon. You doing the a cappella thing up there in Boston? I've been in a couple of post-college a cappella groups, but am now just sticking with the NC Master Chorale for now...

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment