12.07.2004

Prince? Ha! We've Got Antony!

I tell you... when you're looking for it, incredible music is just spewing all over the place. Finding it isn't always easy, but with a little perseverance you quickly come to find that some of the best stuff out there is the least known. I often ask myself that if all the radio stations were playing the good stuff rather than all the crap they stuff down the throats of Americans, would I still like it? I have no idea... There is definitely a part of me that thrives on finding the needle in the haystack and hoping it stays special to me and doesn't get wildly popular and tarnished by the media, etc. But, it would be nice to turn on the radio and be inspired from time to time... Oh well. Anyway, here is one that will probably not find its way to the radio anytime soon even though it is very listenable and beautiful. As a matter of fact, it has apparently taken me 7 whole years to find out about it. Go figure. It has been way way way below the radar until this summer when they signed on with Secretly Canadian records (Damien Jurado, Songs: Ohia, Jens Lenkman) who then rereleased this disc. (Their new disc is due out in February.) If you are a fairly closed-minded person, I urge you to click this link and listen to it before you read anything about the band or its leader. If you are open-minded (I like you!), go ahead and read about the androgynous lead singer and his painful, emotive lyrics. His voice is a unique instrument that is very affecting. Enjoy!

Antony and the Johnsons - Antony and the Johnsons

0 Comments:

Post a Comment