1.21.2005

The Anticipation Builds... Sorta

Ok, unfortunately, no new playlists with this post. Just an update on a couple of discs headed our way. First of all, Lemon Jelly's new CD is either coming out this Tuesday or the next. I've seen conflicting dates on the XL Recordings website and the Beggars Group USA website... which is interesting since the Beggars Group owns XL... Anyway, if you go to the Beggars Group USA site for Lemon Jelly, there is a link to listen to the new album in its entirety. I've listened twice now, and while the sound quality of this music stream isn't great, I'd have to say that I'm a little disappointed. It's a lot more distant and soulless than I like throughout much of the disc. The last track is quite powerful and moving, but up until then I just wasn't ever really pulled in. Now, of course, I will give it a good listen if and when it hits Rhapsody as I am sure there are nuances I am missing so far... Also, on the Glen Phillips front, thanks to Rob Holloway for letting me listen to a couple of tracks recorded for the upcoming CD. I gotta tell you that I think this is going to be one of the truly great albums of 2005. I just hope to God (or god, or whatever) that he gets the kind of recognition he deserves. Hearing him fully utilize the "full band" and "full studio" setting again is such a thrill. For music that is still pretty accessible, I'd say he's one of the most creative and exciting songwriters of today. Fingers crossed for the Trail of Dead and the M83 discs to show up in Rhapsody this Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment