12.08.2004

Jeremiah Was A Lamenter, He Was A Good Friend Of Mine

Ok, this one is a work in progress as searching for Classical pieces is a bear in any catalogue, especially one such as Rhapsody which doesn't seem to have very much info on each recording and certainly doesn't have an advanced search feature. I guess I don't mention this much, but I am a singer, currently singing with the NC Master Chorale. This playlist is a selection of some of my favorite choral pieces, or at least the ones I've been able to find on Rhapsody so far. I especially love Thomas Tallis' Lamentations of Jeremiah, an absolutely gorgeous Renaissance piece that shows how deep and moving simple polyphony can be. The "Aleph" section is particularly pleasing to sing... at least for Basses! I was also happy to find Verleih Uns Frieden which is by Felix Mendelssohn. One of the great melodies in choral music that just isn't performed enough. You'll also hear some fierce ones on there like the "Dies Irae" from both Mozart's Requiem and Verdi's Requiem, and the "O Fortuna" from Orff's Carmina Burana. All very fun to sing. One of the most beautiful choral pieces ever (in my opinion) is Sergei Rachmaninov's "Bogoroditsye Deyvo (Ave Maria)" from Vespers. Unfortunately, I can only find it in Rhapsody in Latin rather than the original Russian, so a little of the impact is lost. But still gorgeous... I truly hope you enjoy!

Choral Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment