6.01.2004

If I Die in Raleigh, At Least I Will Die Free

Ok, well another week passes without any new releases I'm itching for (couldn't care much less about Melissa Auf der Maur or her silly name), so I'll pull another out of the very recent past... This time I'm choosing to write about an all acoustic old-time country/folk band who just released their debut CD. Like the Squirrel Nut Zippers or perhaps even Michael Buble, this band is deeply rooted in its particular vintage sound. The first song of theirs I heard was actually the last song on this disc, "Wagon Wheel." I think it was on the latest CMJ sampler. Honestly, I might have just passed by the song completely and written them off as another band with a "vintage schtick" but a) they mention Raleigh in the first verse (and the last as a matter of fact) and b) they are actually really good at their sound. Interested in this song in which my beloved town stars, I did some research online. It turns out that the chorus was actually taken from a song rumored to be a Dylan song which he apparently only performed live. The band actually gives him credit in the liner notes. The verses were written by the lead singer of the band... so apparently he has some connection to Raleigh... or maybe he just likes the way it sounds... Anyway, I was definitely interested in hearing the rest of the album so I turned to good ol' Rhapsody positive I wouldn't actually find it. Well, as you see below, Rhapsody comes through once again. Funny thing too is that I was watching this week's episode of Subterranean and they played the video for "Wagon Wheel" so apparently me, CMJ, and Rhapsody aren't the only ones noticing this band. When you're looking for a good ol' down-home country sound (with a modern edge, especially lyrically), give this one a listen. Enjoy!

Old Crow Medicine Show - O.C.M.S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment