12.09.2004

Merritt Has Merits

I could have sworn that I'd blogged about this one previously, but in checking my archives, apparently not. I did include it in my Brain Dump a little bit ago, but guess I never got around to commenting on it. Anyway, I was truly surprised to see that Pitchfork actually got around to reviewing it and that they gave it a solid 7.3/10. Not that the album doesn't deserve it, just not the typical fare that does well in their reviews. I usually take their reviews with a grain of salt, realizing that they are sometimes uber-indie and will trash a perfectly enjoyable album just because it isn't obscure enough. But, they are generally my favorite review site and I check it every day... Perhaps they finally reviewed this one because of its recent surprise Grammy nomination in the Best Country Album category, along with such big names as Loretta Lynn (who I'm sure will win), Tim McGraw (you've got to be kidding me), Keith Urban (isn't he a rapper? shows how much I know about country... or rap for that matter), and newcomer with a hot single, Gretchen Wilson. To my friends, I had predicted that this album would be her big breakthrough album that would sell across generations and genres, like Michael Buble, Harry Connick, etc.... Not that her music is anything like theirs, just that it is classic, beautifully performed, and generally accessible. But, that breakthrough has not come yet with her album getting good press, but not truly breaking through. Fine by me just so long as she's making enough money to keep at it and live comfortably... ;-) Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend this album, no matter what genres you usually gravitate towards. Its a great listen, with strong classic country influences, and a real beauty that is at times fragile and other times raucous. Sure I'm biased since she's a fellow Raleigh-ite, but I guess I'm not the only one. Perhaps she'll get all the attention she deserves now that she's received the nomination she deserves. Enjoy!

Tift Merritt - Tambourine

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Tift Merritt - Tambourine
Album Tracks:

1. Stray Paper
2. Wait It Out
3. Good Hearted Man
4. Ain't Looking Closely
5. Still Pretending
6. Write My Ticket
7. Your Love Made A U Turn
8. Plainest Thing
9. Late Night Pilgrim

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment